A Brief History of Manufacturing
IMC believes in leveraging manufacturing’s past strengths to equip Central Pennsylvania manufacturers with the tools they need for a successful future.
- 1800s – Industrial Revolution: Pennsylvania thrives with textiles, coal and steel
- 1920s – The Great Depression: PA is hit with unemployment and coal strikes
- 1950s – U.S. accounts for 40 percent of the world’s manufactured goods
- 1970s – Value of imported goods outpaces exported goods
- 1980s – The need to compete with foreign producers and modernize processes
- 1990s – U.S. dominates the world in high-value industries