- This event has passed.
The Top 6 Employee Training Topics: Requirements and Best Practices to Protect Employee Safety
May 21, 2019 @ 2:00 pm - 3:00 pmFree
Employee training is often required by regulation but providing training in non-mandatory topics can help better protect your employees and your company’s bottom line. Your overall goal should be ensuring the safety, welfare, and productivity of your workers, not merely satisfying a particular compliance obligation. All training should help employees protect themselves and avoid hazards, so providing training in additional areas (even if not required) gives employees more information to remain safe — and helps protect your business as well.
This presentation will focus on six topics that often cause problems even when employers do provide training. They include:
- Hazard Communication, which consistently appears in OSHA’s top 10 list of most-violated regulations;
- Powered Industrial Trucks, another in OSHA’s top 10 list, where training includes operator evaluations;
- Active Shooter/Bullying, which is not required by law, but bullying occurs in nearly every workplace, and preventing violence should be an employer priority;
- Control of Hazardous Energy (Lockout/Tagout), also in the top 10 violations list, which creates the potential for serious injuries and fatalities;
- Bloodborne Pathogens, which impacts many employers – any company with designated first aid responders must provide this training annually; and
- Sexual Harassment, which many employers provide to new hires — but the continued prevalence in workplaces suggests that training could be more effective.
Edwin Zalewski, Editor, J. J. Keller & Associates, Inc.
Edwin Zalewski has been an editor at J. J. Keller & Associates, Inc. since 1999. He researches and creates content for a number of workplace safety and employee-related subjects. As the Manager of the Workplace Safety & Human Resources Publishing Team, Edwin contributes to a variety of products and delivers presentations around the country. He specializes in discrimination and harassment, overtime, forklift safety, injury recordkeeping, and many other topics.
Ann Potratz, Associate Editor – Human Resources Publishing, J. J. Keller & Associates, Inc.
Ann Potratz is an associate editor on the human resources publishing team at J. J. Keller & Associates, Inc. She creates content on employment law issues and best practices for HR professionals, writing and editing a number of HR newsletters and manuals for employers. Ann specializes in topics such as sexual harassment, hiring issues, discrimination laws, disciplinary actions, and terminations.